JumpStart Retreat and First-Year Seminar Program
JumpStart combines a dynamic two-day retreat for first-year students with a seven-week first-year seminar that is designed to launch your transition to college life by connecting you with a network of peers, student mentors, and faculty in the College of Health and Human Development.
The week before the start of classes, students, faculty, and alumni of the College participate in a retreat that will help build the confidence, capabilities, and connections that will last a lifetime. The retreat takes place at the Civil Engineering Lodge at Penn State's Stone Valley Recreation Area. This retreat will help you:
- Connect with other first-year students who often become you best friends at Penn State
- Make a smooth academic and social transition to university life
- Engage directly with upper-level HHD student leaders throughout the semester
- Get to know HHD faculty and alumni
- Begin developing a network of highly engaged HHD faculty and alumni
- Develop team building, goal-setting, and other skills needed for academic, career, and personal success
- Have a fun and challenging experience
All first-year students at University Park are required to take a first-year seminar. The JumpStart program fulfills this requirement and you will earn 2 credits for completing this program. First-year seminars are designed to help you make the transition from high school or work to the college experience.