Skip to main content

All University Park employees, graduate and undergraduate students supported on wage payroll, and students supported on graduate assistantships must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by Dec. 8, per federal vaccine mandate. Read more >>

Faculty/Staff Resources
Search search
Mobile Search:

Many HDFS majors are interested in exploring careers in social work, counseling and psychology. These jobs often require similar skills, but do your homework very carefully because different jobs in these areas often require very specific graduate degrees or credentials.

State licensing: If you are going to pursue one of these paths, be sure to identify the licensing regulations in the state in which you plan to work. These often differ significantly from state to state. For instance, states may differ in whether they require a masters’ degree or not for a particular job. Many of these descriptions below have links to relevant state licensing requirements.

Below there are links to national information about different careers in social work, counseling, and psychology. Use these pages to learn about the job duties, salaries, educational requirements, and more for each listed career.

To understand how to prepare for these careers through HDFS, use these links:

Courses of interest

Hands-on opportunities

Many careers are available for students interested in social work, counseling, and psychology careers. Some of the jobs, such as being an assistant or aide, are available to students without a bachelor’s degree. Working in these fields during the summer or school year may help you decide if you want to pursue this kind of career. Many of these jobs require certification and/or graduate degrees. Click on the links below to learn more about the positions that interest you.

NOTE: Some of these links go to password protected pages (for access, use UserName: 1484w, Password: future).

Social work