Skip to main content
Explore Health and Human Development

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Training

All graduate students must complete the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) training as required by the institution. To complete this training, go to the FERPA tutorial at By the end of the first year of the Program, each student must provide documentation to the professor-in-charge of the graduate program that FERPA training has been completed.

Graduate students for whom English is a second language must meet English communication standards as required by The Graduate School before serving as a Teaching Assistant. These requirements may be found at

Scholarship and Research Integrity (SARI) Training

Every graduate student at Penn State is required to fulfill a SARI training requirement during his/her graduate program. A total of ten hours of training must be completed. This training includes two parts:

  • in the first year of their graduate program, students must complete the mandatory Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training offered by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI); and
  • by the end of their graduate Programs, students must complete discussion-based RCR sessions that cover broad-based issues and discipline-specific situations.

To complete the RCR training, go to the SARI tutorial at Quizzes must be completed with an 80% passing rate. Print the “Completion Report” and provide one copy of this report to the professor-in-charge of the graduate program in nutritional sciences. This RCR training and on-line tutorial counts for five hours of SARI training. Two hours of SARI training will be provided in NUTR 520. Once you have completed both the Fall and Spring semesters of NUTR 520, send an electronic mail message to the professor-in-charge of the graduate program in nutritional sciences to confirm your completion of NUTR 520. To complete the remaining three (3) hours of SARI training, engage in discussion-based seminars that are offered by the College of Health and Human Development and/or The Graduate School.