Welcome to HDFS Advising

We are Devon Thomas and Teresa McGowan -- the full-time academic advisers for HDFS and for the Gerontology minor. We are here to help you get the most out of your studies.

To schedule an appointment with one of us, please call the main HDFS department number (814-863-8000) or stop by the HDFS main office sometime between 8am-4pm Monday through Friday. (The HDFS main office is located in 119 HHD Building, just inside the entrance that faces the Old Main lawn closest to College Ave.)

We are here to help you decide whether to pursue a degree in HDFS or a minor in HDFS or Gerontology. We will help you to plan wisely so that your degree or minor help you reach your future goals.

Considering Majoring or Minoring in HDFS?

Please contact the department to schedule an appointment with Teresa McGowan. Teresa will review your academic record, listen to you describe your future goals and help you think about how HDFS might fit into your plans. The earlier you have a conversation with Teresa, the more she can help you plan wisely as you complete your General Education requirements and begin your HDFS studies. Teresa is also available to assist with the Change of Major process for students who wish to transfer into the HDFS major.

Already in the HDFS Major or Minor?

We encourage all HDFS majors to meet with one of us every semester. Regular meetings help us get to know you and provide you with the best possible advice as you pursue your studies. Common items on the agenda at these meetings include:

We are not financial aid advisers but we can direct you to the best resources at Penn State to help you with financial planning.

The advising website contains a great deal of useful information that can help you plan your HDFS studies. But we know that it can be challenging to think through how all of this information applies to your unique background and future goals. That is why we are here, to help you translate all the information on this website into a plan that helps you reach your goals.