Patrick's research investigates how to prevent childhood adversities and their long-term impacts, intersecting public policy, social science, and prevention science. He is evaluating approaches for improving child and family wellbeing via research-policy relationships.
- Graduate Student
- 2023 - M.A. Psychology in Education: General Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2020 - B.A. Psychology, University of New Haven
Awards and honors:
- Graham Fellowship, College of Health and Human Development
- 2023 Annual Society for Prevention Research Conference, 18th Annual Sloboda and Bukoski SPR Cup Competition Winner
- Teaching assistant, HDFS 129: Introduction to Human Development and Family Studies
- Scott, J. T., Collier, K. M., Pugel, J., O’Neill, P., Long, E. C., Fernandes, M. A., Cruz, K., Gay, B., Giray, C., & Crowley, D. M. (2023). SciComm Optimizer for Policy Engagement: A randomized controlled trial of the SCOPE model on state legislators’ research use in public discourse. Implementation Science, 18(1), 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-023-01268-1
- O’Neill, P., Macias, R. L., Stafford, R., & Whitson, M. (Under review). Parental Substance Use Disorder: Impacts on Stress, Coping Mechanisms, and Academic Performance in a College Population.
- O’Neill, P., Long, E. C., Pugel, J., Herd, T., Burlingame, J., Zhang, L., Diaz, B., Crowley, D. M., & Scott, J.T. (Under review). Impact of policymakers’ capacity on the use of child and family wellbeing research in social media activity.
- O’Neill, P., Cunningham, C., Becker, W., & Linden-Carmichael, A. (In preparation). Policy’s Role in Preventing Discrimination-Based Suicide and Substance Use Coping Outcomes in a Transgender Population.
- O’Neill, P., Pugel, J., Crowley, D. M., & Scott, J. T. (In preparation). Insight for Knowledge Brokers: Factors Predicting Relationships with Federal Staffers.
- Scott, J.T., Pugel, J., Long, E., O’Neill, P., Collier, M., & Crowley, D. M. (In preparation). Advances in Research Translation: Experimental Comparison between One-sided Dissemination and Relational Approaches.