Shou-Chun (Nathan) Chiang
Nathan focuses on how family relationships impact mental health and substance use among underrepresented and minoritized youth and adults, examining the pathways by which risk and resilience factors in families shape youth psychopathology, emotion dynamics, and substance use.
- Graduate Student
- 2020-2024 (expected), Ph.D., Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University
- 2017-2019, M.A., Counseling and Guidance, National Chengchi University, Taiwan
- 2012-2017, B.A., Education, National Chengchi University, Taiwan
Advisor: Sunhye (Sunny) Bai
Awards and honors:
- 2023 Professional Development Grant Award, Marriage Strengthening Research & Dissemination Center
- 2023 Hintz Dissertation Endowment Grant, Pennsylvania State University
- 2021-2023 T32 Prevention and Methodology Training (PAMT) Fellowship
- 2021 Research and Publication Grant, European Association of Taiwan Studies
- 2020-2022 Knoll Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowship
- Chiang, S. C., & Bai, S. (accepted). Bidirectional associations between parenting stress and child psychopathology: The role of maternal affection. Development and Psychopathology.
- Chiang, S. C., Ting, S. Z., Chen, W. C., & Liu, T. Z. (2023). Parent and adolescent emotional variability and adolescent psychopathology. Journal of Family Psychology 37(4), 538–546.
- Chiang, S. C., Chen, W. C., & Liu, T. Z. (2023). Daily association between parent-adolescent relationship and life satisfaction: The moderating role of emotion dysregulation. Journal of Adolescence.
- Linden-Carmichael, A. N., Chiang, S. C., Miller, S. E., & Mogle, J. (2023). A latent profile analysis of blackout drinking behavior among young adults. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Chiang, S. C., Chen, W. C., & Liu, T. Z. (2023). Emotional reactivity to family conflict: Testing the within-person sensitization. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 33(1), 361-368.
- Chiang, S. C., Knapp, K., Bai, S., Cleveland, H., & Harris, S. K. (2023). Daily facets of negative affect and cravings among college students in recovery. Addiction Research & Theory, 31(1), 52-59.
- Guastaferro, K. M., Linden-Carmichael, A. N., & Chiang, S. C. (2023). Effects of child maltreatment on substance use disorder across emerging adulthood. Child Maltreatment.
- Chiang, S. C., Chen, W. C., & Liu, T. Z. (2023). A six-year longitudinal study of parenting and depressive symptoms among Taiwanese adolescents. International Journal of Social Welfare.
- Chiang, S. C., & Bai, S (2022). Reciprocal influences among marital relationship, parent-adolescent relationship, and youth depressive symptoms. Journal of Marriage and Family, 84(4), 962-981.
- Chiang, S. C., Bai, S. (2022). Internalizing symptoms among Taiwanese adolescents in poverty: Longitudinal influences of neighborhood, school, and family. Journal of Adolescence, 94(3), 390-400.
- Chiang, S. C., & Chen, W. C. (2022). Daily association between COVID-19 cases and parents’ emotions: the role of marital relationship quality. Current Psychology.
- Chiang, S. C., Syu, L. Y., Liu, T. S., & Chen, W. C. (2020). Intergenerational transmission of depression in adolescents: Protective factors in individual, family, and school. Journal of Family Education and Counseling, 22, 59-84. (In Chinese)
- Chiang, S. C., Chen, W. C., Chen, Y. J., Hung, Y. S., & Peng, H. L. (2020). Psychologists’ interdisciplinary collaboration as a mediator between role stress and job satisfaction in school counselors. Chinese Journal of Guidance and Counseling, 57, 121-148. (In Chinese)
- Chiang, S. C., & Chen, W. C. (2017). Economically disadvantaged adolescents’ teacher support, peer support, family cohesion, and psychological capital: Analyzing the Taiwan database of children and youth in poverty. Contemporary Educational Research Quarterly, 25(4), 11-50. (In Chinese)
- Chiang, S. C., & Chen, W. C. (2017). Relying on parents and friends: The effects of parental and peer support on the mental health of adolescents with a high and low socioeconomic status. Education Journal, 46(2), 21-41. (In Chinese)