Graduate Program Application
Applications must be submitted through the Penn State Graduate School application portal. Per University policy, an applicant may only apply to one graduate degree program at a time.
Questions about the application process may be directed to the Admissions Coordinator,
Renee Bailey, email@example.com
Application Due Date: December 1, 2018
Please note that we are in the Eastern Standard Time zone. If you are submitting on December 1st and doing so from another time zone please take this into account when determining the submission deadline.
Required Application Materials
- Learn about Penn State's Graduate School's requirements
- When you are ready to apply you may go to the application at the Grad School Admissions and Program Information Portal, which will guide you through the materials required by the University, as well as program-specific required documents.
- All applicants must submit GRE scores. You will be asked to report your scores as well as having official scores sent by ETS (institution code 2660).
- Scientific Writing Sample. Examples include, but are not limited to, papers from undergraduate coursework, Master's thesis, Honors thesis, or other academic document. The document should exemplify academic-quality writing, and should be your independent work.
- A copy (front and back) of all official transcripts/documents from all post-secondary institutions attended. Only a photocopy is needed at the initial application stage, official verification will be required before a student is permitted to enroll.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Statement of Professional and Career Plans. This statement should not exceed 3 pages (double spaced) in length, and should convey the following information: (1) Why you are interested in Penn State's HDFS program? (2) What your professional and career plans are (3) How your educational/research experiences at Penn State would contribute to those goals (4) and which faculty members in HDFS you believe are best able to support your pursuit of those goals.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letter writers will submit their letters directly to the application portal. Letter writers should be individuals who can attest to your academic skills, readiness for graduate school, and potential for success.
- Applicants from outside of the U.S:
- Visit the Office of Global Programs for information related to being an international student at Penn State.
- Applicants residing in a country in which English is not the national language must also take an English language exam. The University will accept the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). For requirement information pertaining to a specific country, visit the Admission Eligibility by Country page on the Graduate School website.
- Applicants who completed their prior education in a language other than English will need to have their transcripts officially translated to English for consideration by the admissions committee.