Skip to main content
icon menu Standard.
Explore Health and Human Development
icon menu Standard.
Desktop Search:
Search search
Mobile Search:

1. Can the HPA 400 level classes double count in the 400 level Supporting Courses and Related Area?

Students are required to take 9 credits at the 400 level in HPA classes AND an additional 9 credits in the Supporting Course and Related Area that are chosen from the department approved list of courses for Supporting Courses and Related Areas. If a student chooses to take more than 9 credits in HPA 400 level classes then the additional courses can be used for Supporting Courses.

2. What minors are best for HPA students?

Approximately one-third of HPA students complete a minor. The best minor depends on your career goals, but the ones we find to be most highly recommended include Biology Minor (BIOL), Business/Liberal Arts Minor (BUSLA), Communication Arts and Sciences Minor (CAS), Economics Minor (ECON), Gerontology Minor (GERON), Global Health Minor (GLBHL), Human Development and Family Studies Minor (HD FS), Information Sciences and Technology Minor (IST), Information Sciences and Technology in Health Policy and Administration Minor (ISHPA), Labor Studies and Employment Relations Minor (LER), Political Science Minor (PL SC), Psychology Minor , Rehabilitation and Human Services Minor (RHS), Sociology Minor (SOC), and Spanish Minor (SPAN).

3. How do I declare a minor?

Students can declare a minor or certificate through LionPath under "update academics."

4. How do my minor credits count?

Credits for minor courses that are listed on the HPA approved list of courses may be used to fulfill the 30 credits needed in Supporting Courses and Related Areas. Courses taken for a minor that are not listed on the department approved list may be petitioned as course substitutions for Supporting Courses and Related Areas (petitions are not always approved), may count as credits for electives, or, in some cases, may meet General Education credit requirements.

​5. Which writing and speaking courses are best for HPA students?

HPA students must take CAS 100 and ENGL 015 or ENGL 030. ENGL 202 is also required. ENGL 202D is recommended since it is the most business oriented of the Effective Writing courses, although ENGL 202A and ENGL 202C are also appropriate.

6. Which computer course is best for HPA students?

CMPSC 203 is usually the best course for HPA students since it covers business applications and meets the General Education quantification (GQ) requirement. CMPSC 101 is a programming course that might be more appropriate for a student interested in health care information systems. There are two minors listed below that deal with computers: Information Sciences and Technology Minor (IST), Information Sciences and Technology in Health Policy and Administration Minor (ISHPA)

7. Should I take STAT 200 or STAT 250?

Either course is acceptable. STAT 250 is probably better suited for those students who might be interested in epidemiology and public health.

8. Is BIO 141 or BI SC 004 required for graduation?

No, but HPA 310 has 3 credits in biology as a prerequisite. BIO 141, BI SC 004 and BBH 101 are the courses recommended to meet this prerequisite and may count toward your General Education requirements.

9. May courses taken at other colleges count for General Education or Major Requirements?

It depends. Courses taken at any Penn State location that are relevant to the HPA degree may count for your degree requirements. Courses taken at other colleges and universities must meet several requirements that are outlined through the Undergraduate Admissions website.

10. Does HPA have a study abroad opportunity?

Health Practice & Policy Program (London, UK and Kingston, JA) (Spring or Fall) - The Health Practice & Policy program was created to meet the academic needs of students in health majors and minors. The program allows students to immerse themselves in public health issues in various locations such as London in the United Kingdom and Kingston, Jamaica, through theories and practice. Some of the courses offered for Penn State students include health studies taught by IES Abroad in London, one elective course from the Study London Program, and an intensive service learning and practicum in London and Kingston at the University of the West Indies School of Nursing, Mona. In the last two weeks of the semester, students participate in an extended field study trip to Kingston at the University of West Indies School of Nursing, Mona where they learn through lectures, discussions, and a practicum at community health clinics. Students must take 15 credits per semester including required and optional program components. Some courses in this program will be used as direct equivalent classes to HPA 400 levels. Students are encouraged to explore other Education Abroad opportunities by visiting in addition to speaking with the HPA adviser.

11. Where can I get help if I am having academic difficulties?

In addition to talking to your faculty adviser and the HPA adviser, the HPA department encourages students to seek help through Penn State Learning located in 220 Boucke Building. Penn State Learning is a multi-disciplinary academic assistance program that is staffed by peer tutors who are themselves undergraduates, by scholars in residence who are content experts in their respective fields, and by professional and administrative staff members. Tutoring is available for Public Speaking, Writing, Accounting, Economics, Statistics, and the Sciences. Students are also encouraged to meet with instructors or class teaching assistants (TAs) during their office hours.

12. How do I find out information about the required internship (HPA 395)?

Students complete a field experience as a part of their graduation requirements. For residential students who are enrolled in the HPA major, HPA 395 is typically taken the summer between junior and senior years for 3 credits. Students may also complete their internship in the summer of their senior year. The administrative internship is a 320 hour, 10-to 12-week, full-time or part-time work experience. There are four prerequisite classes that are taken ahead of time and that require a C grade or higher. These classes are HPA 301, HPA 310, HPA 332, and HPA 390. Specific questions can be answered by referencing the HPA Internship Portal through /hpa/internship-overview. Students can also refer to the HPA Academic Adviser or the HPA Internship Coordinators for further information.