Skip to main content
Explore Health and Human Development

Several funding opportunities exist for students accepted into HM graduate programs.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are awarded competitively to incoming students based on their academic credentials and experience and their anticipated ability to provide needed services in teaching or research. Teaching responsibilities for incoming students typically involve aiding a faculty member with an undergraduate course while more experienced assistants may be assigned to teach lower level undergraduate courses on their own.

Assistantships in the program are generally half time, requiring twenty hours of work per week, and carry a stipend as well as a tuition remission. Half-time assistants must carry between 9 and 12 credits per semester and can apply for a tuition grant-in-aid for summers. Summer grants-in-aid cover up to 9 credits. Interested students are strongly advised to apply to the program and indicate their desire for financial aid as early as possible in order to receive full consideration.

Graduate Fellowships

Penn State offers a very limited number of graduate fellowships to outstanding incoming doctoral students. Award winners typically have undergraduate- and master's-level GPAs of 3.9 or higher and GRE scores (total verbal and quantitative) of 1500. Nominees must also submit a detailed career goal statement.

Minority Graduate Scholars Awards

Outstanding students from underrepresented groups may apply for several assistantships, fellowships, and fellowship supplements that are awarded through Penn State University's Office of Graduate Educational Equity. For additional information on these programs, go to the office's home page at or contact the office by e-mail, phone 814-863-1663, or fax 814-863-5368.

Summer Tuition Assistance

The Graduate School at Penn State provides tuition support during the summer sessions for students who meet the eligibilty and registration requirements. See the Summer Tuition Assistance Application for more information (Note: you must have a Penn State User ID to log into the Summer Tuition Assistance Application).

Graduate Work-Study Programs

A limited number of hourly paid positions are available on campus for qualified graduate students to assist faculty in teaching and research. To qualify for this program, students must demonstrate financial need and meet specific job qualifications that are established by a faculty supervisor. To apply for this program, contact the Office of Student Aid, 314 Shields Building, University Park PA 16802, 814-865-6301.

Additional Assistance

Additional information regarding financial assistance for graduate education is available at the Graduate School at Penn State.