Undergraduate Meeting and Events Management Certificate (MEMC)
The Undergraduate meeting and event Management certificate (MEMC) is co-sponsored by the School of Hospitality Management (HM) and the Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management (RPTM). The MEMC is designed to prepare students to embody the skills and concepts necessary to be effective leaders in meeting and event management.
Prepare for a career with opportunities in corporate business, conventions, sports and entertainment, festivals, community events, and more. Students who pursue the Meetings and Events Management Certificate (MEMC) develop transferable skills including strategic management, event and experience design, production, marketing, and risk management.
- Click here to watch student videos from the Advance Meeting and Events Course
The course project for fall 2020made the pivot to virtual events. Each student team worked with a client to plan and produce a virtual event that would meet their clients' goals. Here are the teams' post-event wrap-up videos and advice to future students of the course.
Bellefonte Art Museum- 20s Making and Mimosas
CC United Way Event- Football Fan Favorites
Centre Helps Event- Walking into Wellness
One Dog at a Time 7th Birthday Bash
MEMC is open to all Penn State students, compliments a number of majors
The MEMC program is open to all Penn State students in residence regardless of major. It is an excellent complement for majors such as public relations, communications, community development and other majors in which events and meetings are integral to the professional strategy.
- Required Courses
The MEMC requires three core courses (9 credits):
- HM 384 Intro Meeting and Event Management (3 credits)
- RPTM 395—Experiential Learning in Meeting and Event Management (3 credits)
- HM495- Internship in Meeting and Event Management (3 credits)
- HM 485—Advanced Meeting and Event Management (3 credits)*
- RPTM 456—Programming in Recreation and Parks (3 credits)*
Pre-requisite: HM 384—Meetings and Events
The MEMC requires two supplemental courses (6 credits) listed below that were not taken as part of the core nine credit requirements:
- HM 201- Intro to Management in the Hospitality Industry
- HM 271- Intro to Hospitality Technology
- HM 442- Hospitality Marketing
- HM 455- Convention Management
- HM 484- Hospitality Entrepreneurship
- HM 485- Advanced Meeting and Event Management*
- HM 497C- Social Media Marketing
- RPTM 300Y- Tourism and Leisure Behavior
- RPTM 334- Nonprofit Recreation Agency Operations
- RPTM 370- Intro to Arena Management
- RPTM 410- Marketing of Recreation Services
- RPTM 415- Commercial Recreation Management
- RPTM 456- Programming in Rec and Parks*
- RPTM 497- Advanced Arena Management
*NOTE: Students may take both courses with the second fulfilling part of the Supplemental Certificate requirements.
David Rachau | email@example.com | (814) 865-7033
Jeff Heim | firstname.lastname@example.org | (814) 865-7990