The Finance Office is committed to providing outstanding customer service and financial support to the college while maintaining fiscal responsibility and adherence to University policies and procedures. Our staff values continuous improvement in all financial activities as well as integrity and teamwork.
- Annual operating budget process; management of faculty start-up funds
- Management of HHD labor distribution processes
- General expense document approvals
Frequently Asked Questions
- I should have start-up or other funds available to me in a discretionary account but I don’t see a balance. What do I do?
Your unit budget assistant should be able to help with this; you can also always feel free to contact the FO or Assistant FO as needed. Particularly with funds that carry forward from one fiscal year to the next, there are sometimes timing issues (ex., the funds don’t immediately show up at the beginning of the next year, as we have to wait to receive our carryforward).
- I will have effort distributed across multiple research projects and/or other accounts. How is this handled?
HHD has an existing process using ‘salary sheets’ as a way to record faculty members’ effort across projects and budgets. This process is managed jointly through the finance and research offices. Your unit budget assistant should be able to provide the specific information you need to get started with this; and as always we are available as a resource if you need to contact us directly.
- I’m already hearing rumors that the University is replacing its antiquated financial system (IBIS). What is coming in its place, and when is it being rolled out?
The University is already in the midst of a multi-year process to replace our current decades-old financial mainframe (IBIS). The new system, SIMBA (System for Integrated Management, Budgeting, and Accounting) represents a modern enterprise solution (SAP) that should ultimately provide many advantages to the college and University at large. The system will be rolled out at the start of the 20/21 fiscal year (July 1, 2020).