Research and Graduate Education
To provide institutional leadership, infrastructure, and excellence in the administration of sponsored projects to stimulate research, innovation, discovery, and education.
- Pre-Award/Proposal Coordination/In-coming Subawards (HHD-PreAward@psu.edu)
- Post-Award/Award Management (Dorothea Paige)
- Out-going Subawards/Research Salary Sheet (Jen Williams)
- Award amendments/New account set ups (Christy Shaw and Denise Magill)
- Data Lifecycle Management (Chris Greiner)
- Training Grants (Jen Colwell)
- Graduate Education Resources (Jessica Perks)
Frequently Asked Questions
- How early should I notify the Research Office of an upcoming proposal submission?
We ask for one month minimum notification of any upcoming proposal submissions. This will let us help in guiding teams with a submission timeline. If you have subaward partners, we require subaward packets at least two weeks prior to submission. The complete final copy of the submission documents should be with the Research Office no less than five days prior to submission. All proposals (regardless of sponsor deadline time) will be required to be submitted by 5pm on the respective deadline day.
- What type of submission help does the Research Office support?
- Funding Searches
- Proposal Development, final compliance review
- Budget Development
- Matching/Cost Share Funds
- Submission (LOI & Full) via our delegated MOU
- Internal Approval Forms (IAF)
- Limited/Down select Program
- Award Processing
- Account Set-up
- Just-in-Time (JIT)
- IRB/IACUC questions
- Who can I contact for help with managing a new award and what type of support does the Research Office provide?
Once you receive notification that your application will be funded, please contact our post-award team for help. Awards are negotiated by our Office of Sponsored Programs, and compliance protocols are approved by the Office of Research Protections. Our office will help you navigate the various offices and work with your department to establish a new project account. Below is a list of award services we are here to help with:
- Award Questions
- NIH RPPR (annual reports)
- Budget Realignments
- Salary Distributions on Awards
- Cost Accounting Justifications
- No Cost Extensions & Close outs
- If I have questions about data management, who should I contact and why?
The CHHD Research Office provides many services for our researchers to assist with the data lifecycle. Should you have questions about any of the following, please contact our Research IT Director.
- Research Lab set-up
- Quotes/Pricing (data storage and data analysis options) for proposal
- Data Use Agreement Processing
- Data Security Plan Development
- Assistance with Security Level Determinations
- Level 3 Authority to Operate (ATO) process
- Data Storage options
- Data Analysis options
- Data Transfer incoming and outgoing
- Computing needs
- If I have questions about my department’s graduate program(s), who should I contact?
Every department has a Professor-in-Charge (PIC) of the graduate program, a graduate staff assistant, and a representative on the CHHD Graduate Student Council (GSC). These individuals should be your first point of contact.
- How are graduate students funded?
The majority of our funded students have graduate assistantships. Half-time assistantships cover full tuition and provide a stipend during the fall and/or spring semesters. Each department has a limited amount of graduate assistantships to assign and they determine the students’ duties (20 hours a week for half-time assistantships). The college also has several training grants. Students funded on training grants are considered fellows, and do not have work assignments; rather, they are funded to gain specialized training during their program. A small number of students are also funded on faculty members’ research grants.
- Can I sign….?
No, in general faculty cannot sign agreements or documents from outside vendors, partners, or sponsors. All proposal applications must be submitted by an authorized official of the University per RA20 (Proposal Submission policy). FNG02 (Limited Delegation of Contract Approvals policy) provides guidance on who and what offices are authorized to sign various types of agreements. When you are asked to sign something, please contact the Research Office for guidance. We’ll help to get your forms routed for proper review and university signatures.
Key Related Resources
Vice President for Research Office (VPR)
Office for Research Protections (ORP)
Researcher Quick Roadmap to PSU
Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
Office of Technology Management (OTM)
Office of Information Security (OIS)