Enforcement of Recommended Preparation
Enforcement of Recommended Preparation and Prerequisite, Concurrent, or Co-requisite courses
Beginning with course registration in Fall 2019 for courses to be offered Spring 2020, the College of Health and Human Development will implement automatic enforcement at the time of course registration of prerequisite, concurrent, or co-requisite courses. Students registering for courses will only be allowed to register for courses for which they have met the prerequisite, concurrent, or co-requisite requirement. Students will be allowed to enroll conditionally in courses that require prerequisites if, based on their current official enrollment, they will satisfy these course requirements prior to the time courses requiring prerequisites begin.
- Override Procedures
The academic department offering the course will review the student’s request. The determination of whether the prerequisite override is given is made by the course instructor or others as designated by the academic department. If a prerequisite override is approved, the department notifies the student and their academic adviser, and has department staff add the student to the course. If the prerequisite override is not approved, the department notifies the student and adviser. There is no appeal for an override that is not approved. The adviser will document the decision in an advising note.
- Course Dis-enrollment Procedures
Students who are conditionally approved to enroll in a class because they have enforced prerequisites in progress will be disenrolled, if they fail to complete the enforced prerequisites satisfactorily.
- During the week before the first day of classes for the semester, the Office of the University Registrar will notify students who are enrolled in a class, but do not satisfy enforced prerequisites (the PERC roster).
- To prevent disenrollment, students have 24 hours after receiving this notice to submit a Prerequisite Override Form to be reviewed by the department using the Override Procedures described above. If a prerequisite override is approved, the department notifies the student, their academic adviser, and the College Records Manager. If the prerequisite override is not approved, the department notifies the student and adviser. There is no appeal for an override that is not approved. The adviser will document the decision in an advising note.
- The College Records Manager will submit a list of students to be removed from the PERC roster to the Office of the University Registrar. On the Friday before the first day of classes, The Office of the University Registrar will disenroll students remaining on the PERC roster from courses where they do not satisfy enforced prerequisites. The Office of the University Registrar will notify these students and their academic advisor of the disenrollment.
- Students who are disenrolled because they did not satisfy enforced prerequisites should meet with their academic adviser to discuss possible changes in their course planning.