Faculty and graduate students in the department of nutritional sciences conduct their research in facilities housed in the department as well as collaborative spaces in the College of Health and Human Development, the College of Agricultural Sciences, the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, the Huck Institute and the Clinical Research Center.
Examples of equipment that are available for research include:
- atomic absorption spectrophotometers
- scintillation counters
- electron microscope
- ergometers and respirometers
- facilities for measuring body density
- a TOBEC
- constant-environment rooms
Facilities tailored to Applied Research
- In nutritional sciences, the facilities of the Diet Assessment Center, the Center for Healthy Aging, the Center for Childhood Obesity Research, Prevention Research Center, and The Methodology Center facilitate development and evaluation of educational materials and approaches, intervention strategies, and counseling skills.
- Community and campus resources provide participants for many research opportunities.
- Collaboration with faculty in community medicine, pediatrics, gastroenterology, and other departments of the Hershey Medical Center offers additional opportunities for clinically-related research.